Thursday 19 September 2013

Week One

This year, Jurassic Park celebrated it's 20th year anniversary with a 3D IMAX re-release. I couldn't pass on the opportunity to watch one of my favourite childhood films, I simply had to go. I'm not the biggest fan of 3D films, is it me or do only Disney pull them off? With films like Up, Finding Nemo and Monsters University they seem to really convey the true effect of 3D making it a memorable experience. However, many 3D films have failed to live up to my expectation. The Avengers 3D, yeah sure it's a great film for marvel nerds but most of it was boring dialogue without any flying objects right up in your face making you really believe you're part of the film. Lets be honest, they make a lazy job of 3D films. However, I walked into Liverpool One's cinema full of optimism. I can't remember how much it cost exactly (I'm glad) but not only does the 3D glasses cost money, so does the IMAX..and not only that but the film itself cost even more. And the popcorn...how can they sleep at night? It'd be cheaper to make my own. Anyway the small audience all seemed to be excited, I couldn't help but smile when the opening credits appeared. It doesn't matter how many times I've seen it, the music score (composed by John Williams) is just magical. Even if you have a phobia of dinosaurs and cannot stand Spielberg, you must love the score. With 3D there's a certain expectation of being wowed. You pay all that money for plastic glasses that most of the audience would only be satisfied with a real dinosaur on display in the cinema. The first half hour of the film was mostly dialogue, introducing the characters and the events that caused Jurassic Park, not eye candy for 3D...yet. The director, Spielberg, teases you as he shows glimpses of the dinosaurs, making the audience eagerly anticipate the famous T-REX roaring scene. It was beautiful. A 3D T-REX screaming at innocent children, just wonderful. Evidently, this was the first time I had watched a film I'd already seen, in the cinema and it really did prove to me how better the cinema experience is. 20 years old and still engages film-lovers into a world of wonder, imagination and stunning special effects. http://youtu.be/v5Co3A3

fLBo

No comments:

Post a Comment